Hayle is a small town and cargo port in the west of Cornwall. It is at the mouth of the hayle river and is approx. 7 miles north east of Penzance
The modern town of hayle was built during the 18 th century.
Although the romans never conquered Cornwall there is said to be a roman fort there
Hayle estuary is one of the natural harbours on the coast of Cornwall. The estuary has a main channel and serval nearby tidal areas. a hill fort over look’s the estuary at CARNSEW
The Cornish copper company moved to hayle in 1157.
The hayle railway was built in the 1830 s for the movement of minerals from the mines in Cambourne and Redruth
Hayle was initially a coal importing and ore exporting port.
The first major development in hayle was the building of a Quay in the 1740s
The RNLI stationed a lifeboat station in hayle in 1866, but the boathouse was closed in 1920s
There was an explosive factory in 1888 but ceased operations in 1920.
Hayle`s position by the sea makes it an ideal location for a Cornwall summer holiday with sandy beaches and lots of accommodation.
Hayle is situated opposite St Ives bay and it is a bird watching
Hayle places to visit
- Hayle heritage centre
- Hayle estuary reserve
- Paradise Park and Jungle Barn
Hayle was awarded world heritage site status in 2006
The town has a RSPB area rich in wild life
The main beach is called Hayle towan beach – towan is Cornish word for dunes
Hayle is famous for its stretch of soft golden sand and is ideal for sailing and swimming
It is named after the Cornish word – HEYl meaning estuary
Hayle is one of the few sheltered estuaries in Cornwall.
Hayle was the first town in Cornwall to be awarded “walkers are welcome “status, it is a lovely place for lovely country walks and trails.