St Germans is a small village east of Cornwall
It takes its name from the St Germans priory – which is a large Norman church
St Germans was originally the seat of the bishop of Cornwall
It was originally a busy fishing village in the 19th century. St Germans quay was a busy dockside for cargoes of timber coal and limestone
St Germans officially became a market town around 1600- the doomsday book states that was a sun market in 1086
St Germans was home of the Notorious Elephant Fayre with such acts in its day The Cure and the Fall
Not an ideal environment for family holidays in Cornwall with its drug use – it was closed down in 1986- it has recently reinvented itself to be more family friendly.
The village of st Germans is on the river Tiddy part of the beautiful estuary that joins the river Tamar