St Agnes is a large village approx. 5 miles north of Redruth and 8 miles south west of Newquay. In 2011 the population was 7500 approx.
It is a popular tourist spot that previously mined copper tin and arsenic until 1920s
St Agnes beacon overlooks the Atlantic Ocean and is considered the “most prominent feature of the coast line”
The beacon and surrounding hill tops are part of a huge heath land.
The original name of St Agnes was “Bryanick” which is a Cornish name which means pointed hill
There are a few archaeological sites in the St Agnes are with a rich supply of copper bronze and tin.
There was a railway between 1903 and 1963
Outdoor activities include surfing and swimming
- Carnival week
- Lifeboat day
- Bolster day
Since 17th century there have been attempts to create a harbour with the last attempt fell down in 1915/1916.
Stippy Stappy is a row of 18 th century cottages on a n incline.
Beaches – Trevaunance cove and chapel porth
St Agnes (or aggie) is in a designated area of outstanding natural beauty
The local legend of bolster the giant comes from St Agnes. Bolster ate small children, but he was tricked by his love agnes and bled to death. St Agnes was hailed a hero and the town was named after her. St Agnes has featured in Poldark novels
Things to do around St Agnes.
- Koru kayaking
- Ultimate Segway experience
- St Agnes museum
- Wheel Coates tin mine
- Blue hills tin streams
St Agnes head is a great spot for watching sea birds. Wheel Coates mine is said to be haunted by ghosts of the miners who died there
Trevaunce cove – is popular family friendly beach. it is ideal for surfing and body boarding. The beach is more sheltered than others in the area
Its small stream is popular with children – the cove was used as a harbour for the local mines.
Chapel Porth is a popular beach in the summer months
St Agnes beacon is 628 ft tall.
The free local museum explains all the myths and legends.